Sunday, January 1, 2012

Healthy Breakfast Review: Umpqua Oats

While I was at our local Safeway the other day, I noticed containers of oatmeal made by Umpqua Oats. The price wasn't too high (about $2.49, I think), so I decided to grab a couple containers of the Not Guilty flavor. They offer several flavors which include Lei'd Back, Old School, Take a Hike, and Kick Start.  However, the Not Guilty flavor was closest to my personal "nutrition guidelines." It's low in sugar (4 grams) and the calories are decent (210 calories). This flavor included apples, blueberries, flax and chia seed. Yum!

The prep was pretty easy and can all be done in the one container. I heated up my water in the microwave, poured it in the cup, and covered to let it steep for 2 to 3 minutes. When I came back my cute little cup was looking pretty tasty and I was starving. First bite, a bit sour which I attributed to it having no sugar-added. Which is fine, I just pulled out a packet of Truvia and added it. This made it perfect! The oats were just the right texture and consistency and the fruits were tasty.

I'm definitely looking forward to trying more of the flavors, and hope to see Umpqua Oats on the shelves in every grocery store!


No comments: