Sunday, January 8, 2012

Healthy Dinner Recipe: Individual Meat Loaves

When I received my copy of P90X2, I grabbed the Nutrition Guide and started browsing. I am always on the lookout for new recipes, especially ones someone else in my family might eat besides me! That makes dinner time MUCH easier. I found several recipes I wanted to try, but this one stuck out to me more than the others.

My husband loves meatloaf, and insists that he always have some sort of animal protein on his plate each night.  Yesterday, while I was at a Princess Playdate birthday party for my friend Rose's daughter Brynn, this same topic came up. Our husband's are all meat and potatoes kinda guys. This got me thinking and reminded me of this recipe, and I had to share it for all those out there who really like a good comfort meal but want to make it healthier.

Last night we couldn't decide what was for dinner, except for the girls (because they are so darn picky) it was Macaroni and Cheese. While John was in the other room I remembered this recipe and without saying a word to him or giving him a chance to object, I began throwing the ingredients together. When he came into the room, I announced that I was making a recipe. He was caught a little off-guard and said that I shouldn't expect him to eat it, especially with TURKEY as the main ingredient. I told him that was fine, but there would be enough for him. God forbid, I used turkey instead of beef! Ha! Needless to say, I finished cooking it and after he got a whiff of the smell he asked for a bite of mine and decided to go load up his plate.

In the end, this recipe got the thumbs up from my husband... which doesn't happen all that often! I heard these words out of his mouth, "Hmmm... yah that was pretty good, I guess you could make that one again!" Success!!!

Individual Meat Loaves

  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tbsp. ketchup
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1 lb. ground lean chicken or turkey breast
  • 3 tbsp. minced onion
  • 1 small can tomato sauce
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites well with a whisk
  3. Stir in oats, Worcestershire, garlic powder, ketchup, salt, and pepper
  4. Add ground meat and onion; mix well
  5. Divide meat mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into an oval shaped loaf
  6. Lightly spray a foil-lined, rimmed baking pan with cooking spray. Place loaves on prepared pan and cover each loaf with tomato sauce
  7. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through ***
***I cooked mine for 45 minutes and actually would have cooked them longer to get my desired consistency. They weren't really cooked at 30 minutes, and only warm in the center. Definitely watch them closely and make sure they are cooked all the way through!

Serves 4; Calories - 208; Fat - 2g (saturated fat - 0.5g); Carbs - 16g; Protein - 30g; Fiber - 2.5g; Sodium - 352mg; Cholesterol - 70mg.


Ideas for what to serve these with would be veggies of your choice (I had cucumber lying around.... more than you see in the picture but Lilian confiscated most of what I had while I was waiting for the meat loaves to finish), and on a normal night we would have had potatoes with this as well. Yes, I know people say to stay away from potatoes, but they are a staple in my house. I try to keep my portions small and don't add a bunch of things to them like sour cream and butter. We generally buy the Ore-Ida Steam and Mash potatoes because they are quick and easy, 10 minutes in the microwave and they are done. All you do is add milk and mash in a bowl. Just watch your portion sizes and try to have more veggies than potatoes on your plate.

I hope you all enjoy these as much as we did. I can't say either of my kids were too excited about them... Lilian tried it but then it came right back out onto my plate and Lynsie just turned her nose up at it. Someday they might enjoy meat.... maybe..... *sigh*

Happy Sunday everyone!

No comments: