Monday, January 2, 2012

Healthy, Quick, and Easy Lunch Idea

Today's lunch idea comes from the one and only, Chalene Johnson. Recently, Chalene released a book called "PUSH: 30 Days to Turbocharged Habits, a Bangin' Body, and the Life You Deserve!" and I've started no my own 30 day PUSH. Already, after two days I'm learning SOOOO much about myself. I highly recommend anybody and everybody check it out, it's really helping me already focus on my priorities and goals.

Anyway, I said this was a post about a healthy, quick, and easy lunch idea... so let's get to it! This recipe comes from Chalene's book and is one of her "Throw and Go" recipes. It's a Chickpea Salad and it was TASTY!

Chickpea Salad

1 can (16 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 cucumber, sliced or diced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Splash of lemon juice or white wine vinegar

Combine the chickpeas, garlic, cucumber, olive oil, and lemon juice or vinegar. Add salt and freshley ground black pepper to taste, mix well.

Makes 4 servings

Per serving: 97 calories, 3 g protein, 12 g carbs, 4 g total fat, 3 g dietary fiber, 166 mg sodium

Mine didn't come out looking quite as pretty as Chalene's did in her book but it sure tasted good. Also, my can of Chickpeas was only 15 oz. and in the end I only came out with approximately 3 servings of 4 oz. rather than the 4 servings her recipe states. However, I separated out those servings into individual containers and they'll be easy to grab this week when I'm back at work. Also, I paired this with a Chobani Pineapple Greek Yogurt. This upped the protein in my meal quite a bit, which I needed after my workout this morning. This brought the total calories of my lunch to about 260 calories. This is a little low for me, but I ate a bit late and it won't be too long until my afternoon snack.


Again, if you haven't checked out Chalene's book "PUSH: 30 Days to Turbocharged Habits, a Bangin' Body, and the Life You Deserve!", you really should consider it. It's motivating, has tons of recipes and even some great workouts you can try.

Until next time!

2 comments:

Debbi said...

I need to try this too!

Lindsay @ Chobani said...

We gotta try this one, so simple yet looks quite gourmet! Paired with 2% Pineapple, the perfect protein treat. Enjoy!