Sunday, January 29, 2012

Vangie's Yummy Creative Quinoa Concoction

I should have saved some tomato to put on top,
in real life it's so colorful and pretty!
Last week I spent a lot of time catching up with one of my oldest (as in I've known her the longest... lol) friend Vangie. She recently joined my Beachbody Team, and might I say I am so happy to have her on board. Anyway, as we were talking on the phone she asked me if I eat Quinoa. It took me a second to figure out what this was, and then I remembered eating it all the time while I was hospitalized up at OHSU after giving birth to Lilian. I'd never heard of it before then but it was pretty tasty, especially for hospital food. After describing all the yummy-ness this dish offered, I ended up asking her to email me the recipe because I needed to make this! After a trip to Trader Joe's this weekend to pick up the Chicken Sausages and some organic Quinoa, I have made it twice. The first time I messed it up a bit and forgot the egg... I thought it tasted fine but today for lunch I made it again and made sure I added the egg, and it really does add a lot to the dish. Vangie said this is totally a creative concoction, but it totally works! Very tasty and protein packed!

My recipe is based on one serving, just increase if you are making for more people. Enjoy!

Vangie's Yummy Creative Quinoa Concoction


1/4 cup dry Quinoa
1 to 2 cloves of garlic
Onion*
1/2 of a Trader Joes Spicy Chicken Sausage (or whatever flavor you desire)
1 egg
1/4 of a small avocado
1 small tomato
1/2 ounce of Trade Joe's Reduced Fat Gouda Cheese
Chopped Cilantro

*I omitted onion because I'm not a fan. Include whatever desired amount you think would work, I'm guessing it wouldn't need to be much.

  • Cook your 1/4 cup of Quinoa first using either water or chicken broth. Set aside.
  • Before you get started with your concoction or while the Quinoa is cooking, I highly recommend you chop up all of the ingredients and set aside. 
    • Finely chop garlic and onion
    • Chop or slice your Spicy Chicken Sausage (keep separate)
    • Chop up and place in a small bowl your avocado, tomato, cheese, and cilantro (I put these all together in one bowl)
  • Alright, now let's get started! In a pan, heat up (I used medium heat) a small amount of olive oil or you could do like I did and spray some Olive Oil Pam in the pan (cuts down on calories) and saute your garlic and onions.
  • Once they get fragrant, throw in your Spicy Chicken Sausage and saute for a couple minutes.
  • Now throw in your cooked Quinoa and mix together.
  • Crack your egg and throw it in the mix. Mix it in there and let it cook.
  • Once your egg is cooked, dump in your avocado, tomato, cheese and cilantro. Cook for a couple minutes, mixing the whole concoction together.
  • Put it all on a plate, and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did! While it's not super low-cal (I think MyFitnessPal calculated it at around 400 calories), it's full of super healthy foods and protein packed (25 grams!).

If you try this, I'd love to hear what you think!


No comments: