Tuesday, February 28, 2012

How do you find the time?

This morning I was thinking about what my next blog post was going to be about, and went back to check on my brainstorming list for topics. The one that stood out to me the most was titled “How do you find time to workout?” I’ve been asked this too many times to count and it’s a pretty simple answer actually.

Each and every one of us deserves one hour of “
YOU” time each day. I set aside ONE hour each morning to get my workout done. I care enough about myself to dedicate this hour to exercise each morning. I love what exercise and what it does for my body, mind, and soul. When I finish my workout, I feel accomplished, dead tired, and on top of the world all at the same time.

I choose to workout in the morning because it’s the time of day I am most unlikely to have any interruptions. It’s also the time of day I’m least likely to find an excuse NOT to workout. About 10 years ago, I used to go to the gym on my lunch hour and walk on the treadmill. Then I hired a personal trainer because I was desperate to lose some weight. In order to fit into her schedule, I ended up agreeing to meet her at 5:30 a.m. during the weekdays. I couldn’t believe she was suggesting I get up and workout that early. I ended up agreeing to meet her on those early mornings, and got addicted to those morning workouts! It was amazing, while I was never an early riser, getting my workout out of the way first thing in the morning felt great. One less thing to think about the rest of my day!

Once I quit the gym and started working out at home, my husband was already working early hours and leaving our house at 5:30 a.m. It was easy enough to just get up with him, knowing he wasn’t snoring away in bed still while I was working out. 

As the years have passed, early morning workouts have become my only option. After two babies, there really is no other time for me to workout. I treasure my lunch hour and use it to come home, relax in peach and quiet, and watch some of the shows I’ve DVR’d (I know my fellow mommies can appreciate this!). Due to loving my lunch hour relaxation so much, I have no choice but to get my workout done first thing in the morning. If I don’t workout in the morning, getting a workout done any other time of day is a lost cause. At least, that is how it works for me.

You may find that an afternoon or evening workout fits your lifestyle better. It’s all about finding what works for you and scheduling that time. Don’t let anybody else interrupt (within reason obviously) and dedicate that hour to getting your workout done! As Chalene Johnson says in one of her ChaLEAN Extreme workouts, if somebody wants to talk to you, tell them to get their workout clothes on and join you! This is your hour and it’s important! No excuses, just get it done and you will feel SO much better!

In closing, only you can DECIDE that you are ready to COMMIT to working toward a better version of YOU, and there is no doubt in my mind with the right tools you will SUCCEED! If you are ready, you will find that the time in your day, whether it’s morning, noon, or night to dedicate to reaching your goals.

Leave a comment below and tell me what time of day you workout and why this works for you. I’d LOVE to hear how all of YOU find time in your busy lives to get fit and stay fit!

No comments: