Sunday, February 19, 2012

Tropical Strawberry Shakeology - Recipe #1


On Friday, I finally received my bag of Tropical Strawberry Shakeology... definitely the highlight of my day! Ha! I couldn't WAIT to have it on Saturday and decided I should try it straight-up plain the first time around. I blended it up with a bit of ice, almond milk, and water. It turned out really weird and chalky. The flavor was nice but there was a big level of chalky-ness present... I was hoping it was something I had done.

I went ahead and started to do some research and found a couple of things that make a difference when mixing it. The biggest thing was that I needed to run my blender LONGER... I had never thought of it, but I was only blending for probably 30 seconds max. Several reviews suggested running the blender for at least 1 minute, maybe longer and you would see much of the chalky-ness disappear. Other suggestions I read were experimenting with different ingredients... bananas and orange juice were a couple of popular suggestions.

After my trip to the grocery store today, I picked up several ingredients to experiment with over the next week. I've got pineapple juice, bananas, kiwis, raspberries, and coconut milk. Plus, I have all my Chobani to add to the yummy flavor! After much thought and consideration, I decided to blend up the following concoction for today's experiment:

1 cup of Silk Coconut Milk (unsweetened)
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1/2 banana
1 scoop Tropical Strawberry Shakeology
A little bit of ice, water, and sweetener

I blended for well over a minute and poured it into my glass (see picture above). It was DELICIOUS!!!! I'm very much a fruit person, so when I heard a flavor like this was being released, I was excited. The chalky-ness was noticeably reduced thanks to blending it for the longer period of time. It was there still, but barely noticeable. The flavor of the coconut milk, raspberries, and banana were perfect and tropical tasting. I am DEFINITELY looking forward to trying another recipe tomorrow. As you can see, Lilian was a fan as well... Lynsie was also, but I didn't get a picture of her. I'll keep reporting back with new recipes as I experiment!

In the meantime, if you are interested in learning more about Shakeology email me at alissaangelo@gmail.com.

3 comments:

SB said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I just got my Strawberry Shakeology in the mail and I was taken aback by the chalky taste! I will definitely try blending it longer and adding different things to it. Thanks again!

Alissa Angelo said...

@SB - Absolutely! I know the first time I was totally thrown off and even got a "yuck" face from my hubby when he tried it. Blending it longer makes all the difference! There is still a little chalkyness but not nearly as bad!

Donanne said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I have had a bag of this stuff in my cupboard from almost a year but couldn't bring myself to drink it. I had the chocolate and enjoyed it but I'm not a big chocolate person and was so excited when I heard the tropical was coming out but like you very disappointed by the overwhelming chalky taste. After gaining more weight back and feeling pretty crappy about myself I decided I was going to drink it no matter how bad it tasted and boy did it taste bad lol I knew I was going to have a very difficult time getting it down for the next 4 weeks.
I figured since it had been a while maybe someone had come up with a solution or better recipes so I went to the good old reliable internet for answers and there you were! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I can't believe just the blending it for longer really helped. This is just one step in my journey but it was the first one and had I not found a better way to drink this I probably would of given up. THANK YOU!!!!! :)