Thursday, August 30, 2012

Guest Blog: Natasha's Success Story

Guest blogger time! I'd like to welcome my first guest blogger, my coach Natasha! She is a close friend of mine and puts up with my almost 5 year old and 2-1/2 year old girls 4 days a week. Below you will read her SUCCESS STORY that she is ready to share with you. Enjoy!
Ten years ago after having my third and final baby, it was official. I had "let myself go". I poured myself into my children and forgot the importance of my own health. This resulted in many things but the worst part was the surprise of bad numbers on a routine cholesterol test around age 31. The good HDL's were rock bottom, putting me at high risk for heart disease. Knowing that my father already had several heart stents even though he appeared healthy on the outside. I figured that I was on a very dangerous path, so I began to run. I kept that up for awhile but I ignorantly didn't change my eating habits. What was I thinking? Anyhow, after a move and other life things I became sort of a binge runner... I was not consistent at all. This led to even worse numbers on the next round of tests a few years later, where my triglycerides were about 560... well over the desired range. My HDL's were still very low. They put me on meds which helped the triglycerides but the HDL's stayed the same.

About a year ago and several health plans later, I decided to take my life back. I began to exercise regularly... 3 - 5 times a week. For the first time in my life, it didn't kill me to run without walking for 3 - 6 miles at a time! On rainy days (which are a lot in Oregon), I would do 12 - 20 miles on a stationary bike. I decided to quit taking my meds as an experiment to see if exercise would be enough. Soon after making this decision, I started Shakeology and mixing up my running with Insanity and the like workouts in addition to my runs.

The results of my experiment were thrilling! My numbers were excellent. I no longer have to take the prescription medicine. I just have to continue to take care of me. It hasn't always been easy... except for the shakes... they make my life a whole lot easier as they are good and I can multi-task while I "eat" lunch and feed 4 - 9 kids at a time.

I have learned a lot about myself in the process of making time for me. Two of the biggest things are -- first... "If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you." AND secondly, "First you feel like dying, then you feel reborn." Both of these things have rung true for me. The second one is true on many levels. Back when the numbers were dangerously low, I really didn't feel good and now I feel reborn. But also, every time I get myself out there to sweat it out, I feel like I am pushing myself to death and then suddenly there it is -- a rebirth of my soul, mind, and body. It is at that point I wish I didn't have other things I needed to do because I would just keep going.

That is my story!

Be sure to visit Tasha on her Facebook fitness page --> Fit Coach Tashie!

Do you have a success story you want to share? We'd love to hear it! Even if you are still on your journey, I'd love to share YOUR story. Email me at alissaangelo@gmail.com or message me on Facebook either my personal page or my Get Your Body Back page. 

No comments: