Friday, July 12, 2013

Exercising While Pregnant

There are so many myths and rumors out there about whether or not you should exercise while pregnant. Or how high your heart rate should get WHEN you exercise… don’t go above 140 beats per minute (bpm). Only do low impact exercise and so on. 

To start, I want to make it clear that I’m not telling you to go against what your doctor tells you and I recommend talking with your doctor about his / her recommendations but I have a feeling everyone will hear a different answer.

With my first pregnancy, I was determined to exercise the whole 9 months. I actually did quite a bit of research
to find out the “rules” on exercise during pregnancy and was excited to find out I could keep going! During my first pregnancy, I was full of energy (once I got out of those first three months) and kept up with my normal exercise routine. I had two different doctors during this pregnancy, the first one told me to absolutely NOT let my heart rate rise about the 140 bpm and to keep my exercise low impact. The second one said to keep doing what I was doing and the most important thing was to listen to my body. I went with the advice of my second doctor and I exercised up to the day I was admitted to the hospital. The only thing I did modify was keeping my workouts low impact because I just didn’t have the strength to pull my feet off the floor.

Now my second pregnancy was a whole other ball game! I didn’t know I was pregnant until I was almost 9 weeks along (LOOOONNNNNNGGG STORY). I had kept up with my normal routine but this pregnancy was different, I was much more tired dealing with a belly and an almost 2 year old. I found I didn’t have the energy I had with my first pregnancy. I did continue to exercise but modified to shorter workouts and much lower impact.
Moral of the story is LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!

Just because you are pregnant, doesn’t mean you have to stop all activity! In fact, it’s better for you and baby to stay active. Just be sure to listen to what your body is telling you. If you don’t feel good about jumping, then don’t! Drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated.

If you didn’t exercise prior to pregnancy, NOW is not the time to jump in and start an intense regimen. Start out slow, go for walks and just move your feet.


So tell me, did you exercise while you were pregnant? If so, what did you do? What were your doctor’s recommendations?


No comments: